A star topology is designed with each node (like workstations, printers, laptops servers etc.,) connected directly to a central network hub/switch. Each workstation has a cable that goes from the network card to network hub or switch.
Advantages of Star Topology
• Easy to install and wire.
• No disruptions to the network then connecting or removing devices.
• Easy to detect faults and to remove parts.
Disadvantages of Star Topology
• Requires more cable length than a linear topology.
• If the hub fails, nodes attached are disabled.
• More expensive than linear bus topologies because of the cost of the devices.
• Why we need computer networks?
• Network Topologies - Bus Topology
• Network Topologies - Mesh, Ring and Hybrid Topologies